Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day in the Life | Week 9

It's not very often that a single great recipe can be motivation for me to blog.  I am a huge breakfast eater and my bestie sent me a biscuits and gravy recipe a few weeks ago and I finally got around to making it (see below).
 
I hope you all are staying healthy.  It seems like back to school brings a season of nasty viruses and bugs.  We have been hit lightly but the use of Young Living essential oils has deceased our sickness time and kept a couple of us completely healthy.  Because this blog is about grain/sugar free eating I will not bore those of you that aren't interested in natural ways to cure disease.  Hey, wait a second you are here because you are trying to better your health and I'm pretty sure 99% of you have naturally cured ailments by changing your eating styles.  Anywho, if you are interested in hearing more about our little journey with oils I'd love to share.  I have an awesome mentor that introduced me and takes all my texts asking how to cure certain things. (thanks Chelsey)  These oils are amazing!!!  It's my new medicine cabinet! 
 Nutrition goes along with healing and I'm hear to admit that I finally made my own homemade chicken broth.  Seriously, I can't believe I haven't done this sooner.  You can do it with a leftover rotisserie chicken for pete's sake, it's so easy and the health benefits you get are superior to any store bought broth and cheaper!  Here is a great article on the benefits and how to make.  Another plus, your house smells amazing!

Day in the Life
 
9 am
Are you ready....o.k. so the picture isn't glamorous but we all know that biscuits and gravy is never pretty (and everyone knows, that I desperately need some new dishes if I'm taking food pics :-).  Jon, my great eater even turned his nose up at the appearance but because he is a trooper, he tried it and loved it.  I think this recipe is better than any wheat biscuits I ever had.  Now some of you may question the use of arrowroot powder.  Many Paleo recipes call for it.  Yes, it's higher in carbs but I haven't hesitated using it in recipes that call for very little.  Trust me, this recipe is worth experimenting with it.  Make sure you eat this hot though because the gravy can get goopy fast, reheating solves the problem easily though so don't worry :-)
12 pm
Posting Jon's lunch.  I honestly am not hating making Jon's lunches these days.  This facebook page has been a great resource however, not all the meals are gluten free. If you haven't invested in a Planet Box yet, you should.  They make lunch packing soo much easier! Organic cucumber slices, yummy pumpkin bars (because all my friends know, I'm all about the pumpkin, you can sub Swerve or Nature's Hallow honey if you don't use raw honey)
Jackson's Honest Potato Chips (ps. if you live close to me and are interested in ordering a case of these let me know as I can get them at a discount if ordering a large quantity), Ham roll ups: Applegate ham, cream cheese and a Bubbies pickle I like to try to include fermented foods into my kids meals as often as I can.  You too, should be trying to get them into your diet.  Here is why. 
 
I chose to get my fermented dosage in with sauerkraut. This Reuben was fabulous.  I made my own homemade thousand island dressing. Soo good.  Here is the bread recipe I used.  It was super easy and tasty toasted on the stove slathered with butter.  This was from my friend LaToya.
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup yogurt
1/4 c melted butter
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp honey (I skipped it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line parchment paper. Spread a couple tablespoons of the mixture on parchment paper (I fit 6 on the cookie sheet). Bake for 13-15 minutes. I added garlic and onion powder to mine to make it a little more savory, but you can season however you want. Herbs or whatever.
6 pm
Off to flag football and I'm exhausted tonight so the hubby is picking up Chipotle.  As you know, there are few places, that you can eat fast at these days.  I feel like Chipotle is one of the most benign choices.  P.S. have you seen their new ads, kudos to them for making a great effort on using Real Food! Take a second to watch, it's pretty powerful. I order the burrito bowl, double meat, no rice or beans, lettuce, fresh salsa, extra cheese, sour cream and guac.  Sometimes I splurge on the corn salsa even though it's probably not the greatest for me. 
 
Worst and Best
 
Worst part of the day was trying to get Isaac to take a nap.  He turned 2 last week and decided on that day he no longer needed naps.  We all know he is completely wrong.  I let him cry for longer that I care to post today and he still didn't give up. My afternoons have just gotten a lot longer without that time to myself or time to just hang with Sam when he is home from preschool.  I'm not giving up on this issue.  He will understand he is going to nap again!!! 
Best  part was sitting down to my Reuben sandwich after the kids had finished eating and spending some time talking with God.  I'm totally good with eating alone in my adult life.  I think I could even handle going to a restaurant or a movie alone.  I remember when I was younger, I felt so bad for people that were alone.  Are you kidding me, that sounds amazing right now!!!!  Blessings!!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment